Tuesday, May 24, 2011

let me sink, you'll help me swim.

i've had james blake's joni mitchell cover "a case of you" on steady rotation for the last two weeks. it all started because my friend has been having major significant other issues and i usually always provide a song to soundtrack the dramatics and advice sessions. so going into last night's show at the troubadour, i was really hoping he would pull that song out of his bag of tricks. 

as his voice echoed between selections from his stellar debut and the title track from the klavierwerke EP, he graciously announced his final song and joni's spirit was nowhere to be found. until the one song encore. bravo james blake. you were emotive, powerful and ripe with quiet charisma. but most importantly, you swept me off my feet.


i know your devils and your deeds,
-t